Patients are most commonly advised by medical practitioners even after remaining wide range of controversy regarding wearing of lumber corset in low backache (LBA). Therefore, this study aimed to determine the potential evidence of using lumber orthosis in LBA. The study adopted 50 participants (21 male and 29 female) ages ranging between 20 to 60 years as sample selecting randomly from September to December 2015. Outcome evaluated by calculating and presenting descriptive statistics at 0.05 p-value and x2 test with confidence intervals (95%), Odd Ratio (OR), and Relative Risk (RR). Age and sex were not statistically significant determinants (x2 1.172, p 0.279 and x2 0.593, p 0.441, respectively). Wearing orthosis and reduce pain in a journey found as protective (RR 0.79 and RR 0.94) also poor relationship discovered in considering OR (OR 0.242, 95% CI 0.021-2.780 and OR 0.857, 95% CI 0.164-4.467). Our data were unable to provide adequate proof that wearing lumber corset bring any clinical or therapeutic benefit in managing LBA to the patients.
- R. Webb, T. Brammah, M. Lunt, M. Urwin, T. Allison, D. Symmons, Prevalence and predictors of intense, chronic, and disabling neck and back pain in the UK general population, Spine, 28 (2003) 1195–1202. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000067430.49169.01
- Kurt T Hegmann, Russell Travis, Gunnar B.J. Andersson, Roger M Belcourt, Eugene J Carragee, Ronald Donelson, Marjorie Eskay-Auerbach, Jill Galper, Michael Goertz, Scott Haldeman, Paul D Hooper, James E Lessenger, Tom Mayer, Kathryn L Mueller, Donald R Murphy, William G Tellin, Matthew S Thiese, Michael S Weiss, Jeffrey S Harris, Non-Invasive and Minimally Invasive Management of Low Back Disorders, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 62 (2020) e111-e138. https://doi.org/10.1097/jom.0000000000001812
- W.J. Meerding, W.I. Jzelenberg, M.A. Koopmanschap, J.L. Severens, A. Burdorf, Health problems lead to considerable productivity loss at work among workers with high physical load jobs, Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 58 (2005) 517–523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2004.06.016
- L.A. Lars, C. Thomas, B. Hermann, H. Andreas, Threshold of Musculoskeletal Pain Intensity for Increased Risk of Long-Term Sickness Absence among Female Healthcare Workers in Eldercare, PLoS ONE, 7 (2012) 41287. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0041287
- L.V. Mitchell, F.H. Lawler, D. Bowen, W. Mote, P. Asundi, J. Purswell, Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of employer-issued back belts in areas of high risk for back injury, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 36 (1994) 90–94.
- M.W. VanTulder, B.W. Koes, L.M. Bouter, A cost-of-illness study of back pain in The Netherlands. Pain, 62 (1995) 233–240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)00272-g
- R.L. Milhous, L.D. Hough, J.W. Frymoyer, J.M. Ruess, R.M. Gallagher, D.G. Wilder, P.W. Callas, Determinants of vocational disability in patients with low back pain, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 70 (1989) 589-593.
- D. Hoy, C. Bain, G. Williams, L. March, P. Brooks, F. Blyth, A. Woolf, T. Vos. R. Buchbinder, A systematic review of the global prevalence of low back pain. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 64 (2012) 2028-2037. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.34347
- J.D. Cassidy, L.J. Carroll, P. Côté, The Saskatchewan health and back pain survey: the prevalence of low back pain and related disability in Saskatchewan adults, Spine, 23 (1998) 1860–1867. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199809010-00012
- F. Balague, A.F. Mannion, F. Pellise, C. Cedraschi, Non-specific low back pain, The Lancet, 379 (2012) 482-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30970-9
- J. Lurie, C. Tomkins-Lane, Management of lumbar spinal stenosis, BMJ, 352 (2016) h6234. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h6234
- M.W. vanTulder, B.W. Koes, L.M. Bouter, Conservative treatment of acute and chronic nonspecific low back pain: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of the most common interventions, Spine, 22 (Phila Pa 1976) 2128–2156. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199709150-00012
- M.W. vanTulder, B. Koes, A. Malmivaara, Outcome of non-invasive treatment modalities on back pain: an evidence-based review, European Spine Journal, 15 (2006) S64–S81. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2Fs00586-005-1048-6
- S. Negrini, G. Imperio, J. Villafañe, F. Negrini, F. Zaina, Systematic reviews of physical and rehabilitation medicine Cochrane contents, Part 1, Disabilities due to spinal disorders and pain syndromes in adults, European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, 49 (2013) 597-610.
- Lomas-Vega R, Garrido-Jaut M, Rus A, del-Pino-Casado R, Effectiveness of Global Postural Re-education for Treatment of Spinal Disorders, American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 96 (2017) 124-130. https://doi.org/10.1097/phm.0000000000000575
- J.T. Wassell, L.I. Gardner, D.P. Landsittel, J.J. Johnston, J.M. Johnston, A prospective study of back belts for prevention of back pain and injury, JAMA, 284 (2000) 2727–2732.
- T.R. Dillingham, Lumbar supports for prevention of low back pain in the workplace, JAMA, 279 (1998) 1826–1828. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.22.1826
- N. Sato, M. Sekiguchi, S. Kikuchi, H. Shishido, K. Sato, S. Konno, Effects of long-term corset wearing on chronic low back pain, Fukushima Journal of Medical Science, 58 (2012) 60-65. https://doi.org/10.5387/fms.58.60
- I.C. vanDuijvenbode, P. Jellema, M.N. van Poppel, M.W. van Tulder, Lumbar supports for prevention and treatment of low back pain, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2008 (2008) CD001823. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd001823.pub3
- P. Jellema, M.W. van Tulder, M.N. van Poppel, A.L. Nachemson, L.M. Bouter, Lumbar supports for prevention and treatment of low back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane Back Review Group, Spine, 26 (2001) 377–386. https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200102150-00014
- A.V. Bataller-Cervero, J. Rabal-Pelay, J.E. Roche-Seruendo, B. Lacarcel-Tejero, A. Alcazar-Crevillen, J.A. Villalba-Ruete, C. Cimarras-Otal, Effectiveness of lumbar supports in low back functionality and disability in assembly-line workers, Industrial health, 57 (2019) 588-595. https://dx.doi.org/10.2486%2Findhealth.2018-0179
- A. Frank, Low back pain, education and debate, BMJ, 306 (1993) 901-909. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.306.6882.901
- D. Buchalter, N. Kahanovitz, K. Viola, S. Dorsky, M. Nordin, Three-dimensional spinal motion measurements, Part 2: a noninvasive assessment of lumbar brace immobilization of the spine, Journal of Spinal Disorders, 1 (1988) 284–286. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002517-198800140-00001
- T. Terai, H. Yamada, K. Asano, A. Nawata, T. Iwasaki, T. Henmi, Effectiveness of three types of lumbar orthosis for restricting extension motion, European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, 24 (2014) S239-S243. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-014-1446-8
- D.M. Oleske, S.A. Lavender S, G.B.J. Andersson G, M.M. Kwasny, Are Back Supports Plus Education More Effective Than Education Alone in Promoting Recovery From Low Back Pain? Results From a Randomized Clinical Trial, Spine, 32 (2007) 2050–2057. https://doi.org/10.1097/brs.0b013e3181453fcc
- D.C. Morrisette, J. Cholewicki, S. Logan, G. Seif, S. McGowan, A randomized clinical trial comparing extensible and inextensible lumbosacral orthoses and standard care alone in the management of lower back pain, Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 39 (2014) 1733–1742. https://doi.org/10.1097/brs.0000000000000521
- M. Samania, Z.R. Shirazib, M. Hadadic, S. Sobhanib, A randomized controlled trial comparing the long-term use of soft lumbosacral orthoses at two different pressures in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain, Clinical Biomechanics, 69 (2019) 87–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2019.07.003
- R. Million, K.H. Nilsen, M.I.V. Jayson, R.D. Baker, Evaluation of low back pain and assessment of lumbar corsets with and without back supports, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 40 (1981) 449-454. https://dx.doi.org/10.1136%2Fard.40.5.449
- B. Bonnaire, W-S. Han, P. Calmels, R. Convert, J. Molimard, Parametric Study of Lumbar Belts in the Case of Low Back Pain: Effect of Patients’ Specific Characteristics, 22nd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention; 2019 Oct 22; Shenzhen, China. (2019) 43-59. (hal-02324625). https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15923-8_4
- K. Sairyo, S. Katoh, T. Sasa, N. Yasui, V.K. Goel, S. Vadapalli, A. Masuda, A. Biyani, N. Ebraheim, Athletes with unilateral spondylolysis are at risk of stress fracture at the contralateral pedicle and pars interarticularis: a clinical and biomechanical study, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 33 (2005) 583–590. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0363546504269035
- J. Perry, The use of external support in the treatment of low-back pain, Report of the Subcommittee on Orthotics of the Committee on Prosthetic-Orthotic Education, National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 52 (1970) 1440–1442.