The purpose of this study was to compare the Mental Toughness between Individual Game and Team Game players. For the purpose of this study a total of 120 subjects (N=120) were chosen, Individual Game (n=60) and Team Game (n=60). The subjects were chosen using Quota sampling technique. Mental Toughness was measured using Dr. Alan Goldberg Questionnaire (1998) which consisted of thirty questions measuring five attributes namely Rebound ability, Pressure Handling Ability, Concentration, Confidence and Motivation. Independent sample „t" test was used to compare the Mental Toughness between Individual Game and Team Game players. The results showed that there is a significant difference between Team Game Players and Individual Game players in terms of Rebound ability, Pressure Handling and Overall Mental Toughness with Team Game players scoring higher in all three attributes. Whereas there was no significant difference in terms of Concentration, Confidence and Motivation but Team Game players scored higher in motivation and Individual Game players scored higher in concentration, whereas both groups had the same score for confidence. The higher Mental Toughness of Team Game Players compared to Individual Game players can be attributed to the team Game settings associated with team games wherein the players continuously receive support from other members of the team.
- G. Jones, S. Hanton, D. Connaughton, (2007) A Framework of Mental Toughness in the World's Best Performers, Human Kinetics Journal, 21 (2007) 243-264.
- S.J. Bull, C.J. Shambrook, Wil James, & J.E. Brooks, Towards an Understanding of Mental Toughness in Elite English Cricketers, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 17 (2005) 209-227.
- P.J. Clough, K. Earle, & D. Sewell, (2002): Mental Toughness: The concept and its measurement. In I. Cockerill (Ed.), Solutions in sport psychology (pp. 32-45). London:Thomson Learning.
- B. Asamoah, (2013) The role of mental toughness, psychological skills and team cohesion in soccer performance. Master thesis, Stellenbosch University, Faculty of Education, 2013.
- B.S. Bal, & D. Singh, An Analysis of the Components of Mental Toughness in Body-Contact Sport: Keys to Athletic Success, SOP Transactions on Psychology, 1 (2014) 36-46.
- P. Balaji and E. Simson Jesudass, Mental Toughness Differentials Among Cricket Players at Different Age Groups, Recent Research in Science and Technology, 3 (2011) 54-56.
- N.M. Beck, (2012) Mental toughness: an analysis of sex, race, andmood, Master Thesis, University of North Texas.
- I. Connole, (2009): Towards an understanding of mental toughness in high school boys'basketball, Fullerton: California State University, ProQuest LLC
- J.W. Creasy (2005): An Analysis of the Components of Mental Toughness in Sport, (Doctoral Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.
- Jim Golby, MichaelSheard, Mental toughness and hardiness at different levels of rugby league, Personality and Individual Differences, 37 (2004) 933-942.
- S. Gupta, A critical analysis of mental toughness and will to win between throwers and jumpers: a psychological probe, International Journal of Behavioral Social and Movement Sciences, (2013) 162-168.
- M. Gymbrah, Psychological profile assessment of mental toughness among senior high school football players in Ghana, European Journal of Business and Management, 1 (2013) 136-151. 18
- Q.S. Javeed, A study of personality need dimensions among individual and team game players, Indian Streams Research Journal, 3 (2013) 1-4.
- H. Kajbafnezhad, (2011) Difference between Team and Individual Sports with Respect to Psychological Skills, Overall Emotional Intelligence and Athletic Success Motivation in Shiraz City Athletes, Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, (2011) 1904-1909.
- S. Kathuria, & I.K. Nanda, A comparative study on selective psychological variables among team game and individual game athletes, European Journal of Business and Management, 5 (2013) 1-3.
- P. Mattie, (2009) Examining the Relationship between Imagery Use and Mental Toughness, Master Thesis, University of Windsor, Canada.
- S.C. Middleton, H.W. Marsh, A.J. Martin, G.E. Richards, & C. Perry, (2004) Discovering mental toughness: a qualitative study of mental toughness in elite athletes. Self-Concept, Motivation and Identity, Where To From Here? : Proceedings of the Third International Biennial SELF Research Conference.
- A. Newland, M. Newton, L. Finch, C.R. Harbke, L. Podlog, Al Moderating variables in the relationship between mental toughness and performance in basketball, Journal of Sport and Health Science, 2 (2013) 184-192.
- M.S. Omar-Fauzee, Y.H. Saputra, N. Samad, Z. Gheimi, M.N. Asmuni, M. Johar, (2010): Mental Toughness among Footballers: A Case Study, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 2 (2012) 639- 658.
- S. Pattison, (2011) The Development and Implementation of a Mental Toughness Training Programme for Young Cricketers, Master Thesis, Rhodes University, South Africa.
- S. Sharma, R. Shukla Pare and J. Sharma, Association of Selected Psychological factor among Individual and Team Game, Research Journal of Physical Education Sciences, 1 (2013) 1-5.
- A.S. Solanki, M.K. Singh, Comparative Study Of Mental Toughness Between The Players Of Taekwondo And Cricket, Indian Streams Research Journal, 3 (2013) 1-3
- M.A. Stonkus, K.D. Royal, The development and validation of the inventory of mental toughness factors in sports (IMTF- S), International Journal of Psychological Studies, 7 (2015) 35-45.
- S.K. Yadav, Investigation of mental toughness in relation to ranking points in badminton singles at different levels of achievement, International Journal of Physical Education, Sports and Yogic Sciences, 1 (2012) 76-77.