The purpose of the present study was to find the effect of pranayama practice on tidal volume, inspiratory reserve volume and vital capacity. For this purpose, thirty female students studying bachelor degree in various departments, except Department of Physical Education and Faculty of Fine Arts, Annamalai University, those who were not familiar with pranayama with the age group of 19 – 21 years were selected. They were divided into two equal groups, each group consisted of fifteen subjects, in which group – I underwent pranayama practices and group – II acted as control group who did not participate in any special training. The training period for this study was five days in a week for twelve weeks. The selected criterion variables such as, tidal volume, inspiratory reserve volume and vital capacity were assessed by using the wet spirometer. Prior to and after the training period the subjects were tested for tidal volume, inspiratory reserve volume and vital capacity and analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) was applied as statistical tool. It was concluded after the pranayama practices, that training group have increased the level of tidal volume (inspiratory reserve volume and vital capacity (p >0.05).
- Tarun Saxena and Manjari Saxena, The effect of various breathing exercises (pranayama) in patients with bronchial asthma of mild to moderate severity, International Journal of Yoga, 2 (2009) 22–25.
- V. Singh, A. Wisniewski, J. Britton, A. Tattersfield, Effect of yoga breathing exercises (pranayama) on airway reactivity in subjects with asthma, The Lancet. 335(1990) 1381-1383.
- Yogacharya Janakiraman and Carolina Rosso Cicogna, Solar Yoga, (New Delhi: Allied Publishers Ltd., 1989), p.54.
- Swami Abhedananda, Yoga Psychology¸ (Calcutta: Ramakrishna Vedanta Math, 1999), p.54.
- L.N. Joshi and V.D. Joshi, Effect of Forced Breathing on Ventilatory Functions of the Lung, Journal of Post Graduate Medicine, 44: (1998) 67 –69.
- D.V. de Godoy, R.L. Bringhenti, A. Severa, R. de Gasperi, L.V. Poli, Yoga Versus Aerobic Activity: Effects on Spirometry Results and Maximal Inspiratory Pressure”, Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, 32 (2006) 130 –135.
- K Upadhyay Dhungel, V. Malhotra, D. Sarkar, R. Prajapati, Effect of Alternate Nostril Breathing Exercise on Cardiorespiratory Functions, Nepal Medical College Journal, 10 (2008) 25 – 27.
- D. A. Birkel and L. Edgren, Hatha Yoga: Improved Vital Capacity of College Students, Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine, 6 (2000) 55-63.