The purpose of this study was to assess relationships between daily fluctuations in hormonal and performance markers in weightlifters. Nine male collegiate weightlifters gave daily pre-practice salivary samples for one week and were tested daily for standing broad jump distance; first jump (BJ1) and best jump (BJB) were recorded. Volume-load was heavy on Monday (47%), light on Tuesday (13%), and medium-heavy on Wednesday (40%). To determine if variables differed by day, RM ANOVAs were used with partial-eta squared effect sizes (η2 p) to calculate meaningful changes. RM ANOVA models suggest daily differences occurred for T (F=4.027, p=.024, η2 p =.402), T/C (F=11.735, p=.019, η2 p =.898), and BJ1 (F=6.229, p=.004, η2 p =.509), but not for C (F=1.623, p=.219, η2 p =.213) nor BJB (F=1.088, p=.379, η2 p =.154). Daily fluctuations in BJ1 shared a moderate inverse relationship with daily fluctuations in C (r = -0.42), whereas BJB revealed no association with hormonal markers. T, T/C, and BJ1 appeared to be meaningfully affected by the previous day’s training stress in collegiate weightlifters, suggesting that BJ1 may be indicative of hormonal status and that a one-day reduction in VL may enhance acute athlete readiness.
- W. Kraemer, S. Mazzetti, Strength and Power in Sport, Blackwell Scientific Publishing, (2008) Boston, USA.
- M. Cardinale, M.H. Stone, Is testosterone influencing explosive performance? Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20 (2006) 103–107.
- Nelson, J. Winchester, L. Stewart, M. Stone, Hormonal markers and physical performance during a peak-taper cycle in elite track and field athletes, Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 41 (2008) 336-337.
- G. Haff, J. Jackson, N. Kawamori, J. Carlock, M. Hartman, J. Kilgore, R. Morris, M. Ramsey, W. Sands, M. Stone, Force-time curve characteristics and hormonal alterations during an eleven-week training period in elite women weightlifter, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 22 (2008) 433-436.
- M. Cardinale, Strength and Conditioning: Biological Principles and Practical Applications, (2011) John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK.
- X. Schelling, J. Calleja, N. Terrados, Hormonal analysis in elite basketball during a season, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18 (2009) 363-367.
- C. Bosco, J. Tihanyi, A. Viru, Relationships between field fitness test and basal serum testosterone and cortisol levels in soccer players, Clinical Physiology, 16 (1996) 317–322.
- D. Cooper, The Endocrine System in Sport and Exercise, (2005) Blackwell Scientific Publishing, Boston, USA.
- J. Hoffman, Norms for Fitness, Performance and Health, (2006) Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois.
- E. Papacosta, G.P. Nassis, Saliva as a tool for monitoring steroid, peptide and immune markers in sport and exercise science, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 14 (2011) 424– 434.
- J. Cohen, Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences, (1988) Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- Viru, Defense reaction theory of fatigue, Schweizerische Zeitschrift fur Sportmedizin, 23 (1975) 171-186.
- Guillich, D. Schmidtbleicher, MVC-induced short-term potentiation of explosive force, New Studies in Athletics, 11 (1996) 67-81.