The aim of this study is to investigate the effects of participation in a 1-week summer camp on the hopelessness and self-esteem of the university students attending Sport Sciences Faculty. Participants were 36 university students assigned to experiment group using a random procedure. Coopersmith Self-esteem and Beck Hopelessness Scales were completed at the beginning and end of the summer camp by designed the university. The obtained data were analysed in the SPSS 18.0 program and the significance level was taken as 0.05. The descriptive statistics, independent simple t test, paired simple t test and Pearson correlation were used for analyse the data in the study. According to the results of the research, no significant difference was observed in the comparison of the hopelessness and self-esteem levels between pre and post-test. In addition, there was a significant difference in the hopelessness level of male and female students but any significant difference was not observed in terms of self-esteem. There was a significant relationship between hopelessness and self-esteem pre and post-test. These result shows that a 1-week summer camp cannot change the hopelessness or self-esteem level. However, as the self-esteem rises, the rate of despair decreases whereas as the despair rises, the selfesteem decreases.
- T R. P.ucher, C.R. Hagan, R.M. Hill, M.L. Slish, C.L. Bagge, T.E. Joiner, and L.R. Wingate, (2018).
- J. Brezo, J. Paris, G. Turecki, Personality traits as correlates of suicidal ideation, suicide attempts, and suicide completions: a systematic review, Acta psychologica Scandinavica, 113 (2006) 180– 206.
- S.T. Russell, K. Joyner, Adolescent sexual orientation and suicide risk: evidence from a national study, American Journal of Public Health, 91 (2001) 1276–1281.
- C.R. Snyder, Hope theory: rainbows in the mind, Psychological Inquiry, 13 (2002) 249–275.
- G.M. Alarcon, B N. A.owling, S. Khazon, Great expectations: a meta-analytic examination of optimism and hope, Personality and Individual Differences, 54 (2013) 821–827.
- J.A. Eliott, What have we done with hope? a brief history. In: Eliott, J.A. (Ed.), Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Hope. Nova Science Publishers, New York, pp. 2005, 3–46
- E. Martz, H. Livneh, Psychosocial adaptation to disability within the context of positive psychology, Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 26 (2016) 4–12.
- H. Kaplan, B. Sadock , Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry, 10th edition, Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 2007. 12 p.
- M. Babaei, R. Fadakar Soghe, F. SheikholEslami, E. Kazemnejad Leili, Survey self-esteem and its relevant factors among high school students, Journals of Holistic Nursing and Midwifery, 25 (2015) 1-8.
- G. Fatemeh, D. Mansureh, Pouran Tavakoli and Marzieh Akbarzadeh, Investigation of SelfEsteem in High School Students with Premenstrual Syndrome, Razavi International Journal of Medicine, 6 (2018) 1-6.
- J. D. Coatsworth, & D. E. Conroy, Enhancing the self-esteem of youth swimmers through coach training: Gender and age effects, Psychology of Sports and Exercise, 7 (2006) 173-192.
- K. Yiğiter, The Effects of Participation in Regular Exercise on Self-Esteem and Hopelessness of Female University Students, Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 42 (2014) 1233-1243.
- M. Gerber, & U. Pühse, Don’t crack under pressure!” Do leisure time physical activity and self-esteem moderate the relationship between school-based stress and psychosomatic complaints?, Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 65 (2008) 363-369.
- M. H. Kernis, Toward a conceptualization of optimal self-esteem, Psychological Inquiry, 14 (2003) 1-26.
- P. Yelsma, J. Yelsma, Self-esteem and social respect within the high school, Journal The Journal of Social Psychology, 138 (1998) 431- 41.
- A. Hassiotis, M. Serfaty, K. Azam, A. Strydom, S Martin, C. Parkes, R. Blizard, M. King , Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) for anxiety and depression in adults with mild intellectual disabilities (ID): a pilot randomised controlled trial, Trials, (2011) 12:95.
- F. Blake Cognitive therapy for Premenstrual Syndrome, Cogn Behav Pract, 2 (1995) 167-85.
- M.A. Fritz, L. Speroff, Clinical gynecology endocrinology and infertility, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW), (2011 )531-46.
- L. Kashani, N. Saedi, S. Akhondzadeh, Femicomfort in the treatment of premenstrual syndromes: a double-blind, randomized and placebo controlled trial, Iranian Journal of Psychiatry, 2010, 5(2):47-50.
- A.T. BECK, C.H. WARD, M. MENDELSON, J. MOCK, J. ERBAUGH, An inventory for measuring depression, Archives of general psychiatry, 4 (1961) 561-571.
- V. Gordon, A. Matwychuck, E. Sachs, B. Canedy, A 3-year follow-up of a cognitive behavioral therapy intervention, Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 2 (1988) 218-226.
- A. Beck, R. Steer, B.M. Gar, Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation, Clinical Psychology Review, 8 (1988) 77-100.
- N. Hisli, Beck Depresyon Envanterinin Universite Ogrencileri icin Gecerligi ve Güvenirligi, Journal of Psychology, 7 (1989) 3- 13.
- K. Yiğiter, & Hardee, T. James, Decreasing Depression by Improving Level of Self-esteem in a Tennis Training Program for Female University Students, ASEAN Journal of Psychiatry, 1 (2017) 18.
- F. Cuhadaroglu, Self-esteem in the adolescent, Unpublished PhDdissertation. Ankara: Hacettepe University. 1986.
- C. Arslan, Anger, self-esteem, and perceived social support, Social Behavior and Personality: An international journal, 37 (2009) 555-564.
- A. Erozkan, The Predictors of Loneliness in Adolescents, Elementary Education Online, 8 (2009) 809-819.
- A.A. Murphy, The relationship between facebook usage and age, social anxiety, selfesteem, and extraversion. PhD-dissertation. New York: Walden University. 2012.
- B. Kirkcaldy, R. Shephard, & R. Siefen, The relationship between physical activity and selfimage and problem behaviour among adolescents, Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37 (2012) 544-550.
- R. M. Page, & L. A. Tucker, Psychosocial discomfort and exercise frequency: An epidemiological study of adolescents, Adolescence, 29 (1994) 193-191.
- C. Caver, A qualitative study of hopelessness and homelessness among African-American male ex-offenders. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of the Rockies, CO, USA, 2012.
- K. Yiğiter, Improving the assertiveness of nursing students by participating in the recreational physical activities, International Journal of Sport Studies, 3 (2013) 258-262.
- L. M. García-López, & D. Gutierrez, The Effects of a Sport Education Season on Empathy and Assertiveness, Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 20 (2013) 1-16.
- L.M. Barnett, E. Van Beurden, P.J. Morgan, L.O. Brooks, J.R. Beard, Childhood Motor Skill Proficiency as a Predictor of Adolescent Physical Activity, Journal of Adolescent Health, 44 (2009) 252–259.
- F.B. Ortega, J.R. Ruiz, M.J. Castillo, M. Sjostrom, Physical fitness in childhood and adolescence: a powerful marker of health, International Journal of Obesity, 32 (2008) 1-11.
- K. Opstoel, J. Pion, M. Elferink-Gemser, E. Hartman, B. Willemse, R. Philippaerts, Chris Visscher, Matthieu Lenoir, Anthropometric Characteristics, Physical Fitness and Motor Coordination of 9 to 11 Year Old Children Participating in a Wide Range of Sports. PLoSONE, 10 (2015)
- J.F. Sallis, K. Patrick, Physical activity guidelines for adolescents: consensus statement, Pediatric exercise science, 6 (1994) 302–314.
- B. Hands, Changes in motor skill and fitness measures among children with high and low motor competence: A five-year longitudinal study, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 11 (2008) 155-162. A. Fisher, J.J. Reilly, L.A. Kelly, C. Montgomery, A. Williamson, J.Y. Paton, S. Grant, Fundamental movement skills and habitual physical activity in young children, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 37 (2005) 684–688.
- A.D. Okely, M.L. Booth, J.W. Patterson, Relationship of physical activity to fundamental movement skills among adolescents, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 33 (2001) 1899–1904.
- N.A. Bishop, T. Lu, B.A. Yankner, Neural mechanisms of ageing and cognitive decline, Nature, 464 (2010) 529–535.
- N. Sirven, T. Debrand, Social participation and healthy ageing: an international comparison using SHARE data, Social Science & Medicine, 67 (2008) 2017-2026.
- A. Dunsky, Y. Netz, Physical activity and sport in advanced age: is it risky?-a summary of data from articles published between 2000-2009, Current Aging Science, 5 (2012) 66-71.
- Rory O'Connor, Daryl O'Connor, Susan O'Connor, Jonathan Smallwood & Jeremy Miles. Hopelessness, stress, and perfectionism: The moderating effects of future thinking, Cognition and Emotion, 18 (2004) 1099-1120