The main purpose of this study is to develop an understanding of the trainers' perceptions of competency and training needs related to professional skills in accordance with professional experience and academic education. The sample included 76 judo trainers who answered a questionnaire that included a measure that focused on the perceptions of competency and another on training needs. An exploratory factor analysis was used with the maximum probability factor (Oblimin) to determine emerging factors. A comparison of the Coaches ' concepts was made in the training experience and the academic background of the Coaches, where multiple comparisons were applied using ANOVA and Tukey. Three main areas of skills were done: skills related to annual planning; skills related to practice and competition; and personal education and training skills. Coach es' perceptions of their expertise were affected, with low-level trainers classifying themselves at lower levels of efficiency and more training needs; and higher-education Coaches in physical education were more efficient than mid-level trainers. Finally, most trainers consider them as efficient as they have indicated the training needs to be provided, which brings important feedback to the education of trainers. This suggests that trainers are an increasing their knowledge and competence in a wide range of areas that should be considered in future training of trainers programs, also to ensure the quality of education and training in the different level of physical and sports education institutes of the Algerian universities.
- A. Abraham, D. Collins, R. Martindale, The coaching schematic: validation through expert coach consensus, Journal of Sports Sciences, 24(2006) 549–64.
- G. Demers, A.J. Woodburn, C. Savard, The Development of an Undergraduate Competency-Based Coach Education Program, Sport Psychologist, 20(2006) 162- 173.
- R.L. Jones, K.M. Armour, P. Potrac, Constructing Expert Knowledge: A Case Study of a Top-level Professional Soccer Coach, Sport, Education and Society, 8 (2003) 213- 29.
- A. Kubayi, Y. Coopoo, H. Morris-Eyton, Coaches’ Preferences for Continuing Coaching Education in South Africa, Journal of Human Kinetics, 50 (2016) 229-34.
- K.M. Armour, R. Jones, P. Potrac, (2004) Sports Coaching Cultures: From Practice to Theory, Routledge, UK.
- C.J. Cushion, K.M. Armour, R.L Jones,. Coach Education and Continuing Professional Development: Experience and Learning to Coach, Quest, 55 (2003) 215-30.
- P. Kirschner, P. Van Vilsteren, H. Hummel, M. Wigman, The Design of a Study Environment for Acquiring Academic and Professional Competence, Studies in Higher Education, 22(1997) 151-171.
- E.J. Pedhazur, Factor structure of the dogmatism scale, Psychological Reports, 28 (1971) 735-740.
- W. Westera, Competences in education: A confusion of tongues, Journal of Curriculum Studies, 33(2001) 75-88.
- J.M. Stephens, S. Halson, J. Miller, G.J. Slater, C.D. Askew, Cold-Water Immersion for Athletic Recovery: One Size Does Not Fit All, International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 12(2017) 2-9.
- A. Belkadi, B. Othman, S. Mohamed, Abdelhafid L, B.H. Benkazdali, J. Gleyse, Contribution to the Identification of the Professional Skills Profile of Coaches in the Algerian Sport Judo System, International Journal of Sports Science, 5 (2015) 145-50.
- K.S. Mohamed, K. Mohamed, S. Mohammed, D. Mokrani, A.Belkadi, The Effect of Heavy Weight Training on Physiological Abilities of Soccer Players Under the Age 21 Years Old, Acta Facultatis Educationis Physicae Universitatis Comenianae, 59 (2019) 33–43.
- L. Chrara, R.A. Raoui, A. Belkadi, H. Asli, O. Benbernou, Effects of caloric restriction on anthropometrical and specific performance in highly-trained university judo athletes, Arab Journal of Nutrition and Exercise, 3 (2018) 105-118.
- J. Côté, A. W. Sedgwick, Effective behaviors of expert rowing coaches: A qualitative investigation of Canadian athletes and coaches, International Sports Journal, 7 (2003) 62-77.
- J. Côté, J.H.Salmela, The Organizational Tasks of High-Performance Gymnastic Coaches, Sport Psychologist, 10(1996) 247-260.
- K. Petry, (2008) Higher Education in Sport in Europe: From Labour Market Demand to Training Supply, Meyer & Meyer, Verlag.
- D.L. Feltz, M.A. Chase, S.E. Moritz, P.J. Sullivan, A conceptual model of coaching efficacy: Preliminary investigation and instrument development, Journal of Educational Psychology, 91 (1999) 765-776.
- Lirgg CD, Dibrezzo R, Smith AN. Influence of Gender of Coach on Perceptions of Basketball and Coaching Self-Efficacy and Aspirations of High School Female Basketball Players, Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 3 (1994) 1-14.
- A-E-K Benchehida, F. Belmerabet, K. Benchehida, WHY MENTAL PREPARATION IS SO IMPORTANT ON DIRECTING OF ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE? European Journal of Physical Education and Sport Science, 2 (2016) 140-152.
- W.D .Gilbert, P. Trudel, Learning to Coach through Experience: Reflection in Model Youth Sport Coaches, Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 21 (2001) 16-34.
- G. Irwin, S. Hanton, D. Kerwin, Reflective practice and the origins of elite coaching knowledge, Reflective Practice, 5 (2004) 425- 442.
- L.D. Wiersma, C.P. Sherman, Volunteer youth sport coaches’ perspectives of coaching education/certification and parental codes of conduct, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 76 (2005) 324-338.
- G. Bloom, (1997) Characteristics, knowledge, and strategies of expert team sport coaches, Thesis, University of Ottawa, Canada. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20381/ruor-8024.
- H.E.H. Ahmed, S. Mohammed, L. Abdelhafid, B. Adel, B. Mohamed, G. Jacques, Study of perception of professional competences in teachers in relation to the requirements of the profession of teaching physical education, European Journal of Education Studies, 3 (2017) 680-693.
- W.R. Houston, M. Haberman, J.P. Sikula, (1990) Association of Teacher Educators, Handbook of research on teacher education, Macmillan, New York.  B.G. Tabachnick, L.S. Fidell, (2006) Using Multivariate Statistics (5th Ed), Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, MA, USA
- A. Benchehida, H. Bessikadour, M. Sebbane, Study of the Determinants of the Sports Performance in Football, European Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 10 (2015)167- 71.
- A, Belkadi, M. Remaoun, O. Benbernou, (2017) The Perception Of The Use Of (Ict) On The Acquisition Of New Teaching Skills According To (Teachers, Student Trainees) In The Physical Education And Sports.
- TM. Vargas-Tonsing, Coaches’ preferences for continuing coaching education, International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 2 (2007) 25-35.
- Merzoug djemal, A. Belkadi, Sebbane mohamed, F. Abed, A. Abdedaim, Analysing the effect of learning by simulation on the speed and accuracy decision making of volleyball players, Педагогико-Психологические И Медико-Биологические Проблемы Физической Культуры И Спорта, 12 (2017).