The aim of this study was to determine and evaluate the nutritional knowledge levels and nutritional status of the sports trainers and individuals doing nine-round fitness sports, and compare the relationship between two groups. One hundred individuals doing sports and 10 trainers were included in the study. A questionnaire about general demographic information, anthropometric measurements, nutritional habits and sporting status were applied to the participants. In addition, 1-day retrospective food consumption record was taken to evaluate the intake levels of macro and micronutrients, and The Basic Nutrition Knowledge Level for Adults (YETBID) Scale was applied to measure the nutritional knowledge of the participants. The mean energy (kcal), protein (g), fat (g) and carbohydrate (g) intakes were found to be 1930±832,6, 117,8±61,3, 88±34,5, 159±111,1 for trainers and 1465±533, 81,8±33,9, 66,6±26,4, 128±76,9 for individuals doing sports, respectively. A significant difference was found between two groups in terms of energy intakes (p=0,042) whereas, no significant difference was found between the levels of macro nutrient intakes between trainers and individuals doing sports (p>0.05). According to the YETBID scores, it was found that the total score of individuals doing sports was significantly higher than trainers’ (p=0.037). It was concluded that the level of nutritional knowledge of sports trainers and individuals doing sports did not affect the nutritional status. Furthermore, dietitians should be present at sport centers and nutrition trainings should be arranged in order to prevent improper nutrition practices.
- J.A. Nogueira, T.H. Da Costa, Nutritional status of endurance athletes: what is the available information?, Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutrición, 55 (2005) 15-22.
- Y. Özdoğan, A. Özfer Özdoğan, Evaluation of the nutrition knowledge of sports department students of universities, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 8 (2011) 11.
- S. Sceery, Nutritional Impact on Performance in Student-Athletes: Reality and Perception, Health Sciences Student Work, 2017.
- S. Holden, B. Forester, A. Smith, C. Keshock & H. Williford, Nutritional Knowledge of Collegiate Athletes, Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, 33 (2018) 65- 77.
- B.A. Mitchell, S.L. Holden, B.E. Forester, L.R. Gurchiek, R.J. Heitman, Nutritional education intervention and the effects on nutritional knowledge of male college athletes, Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, 31 (2016) 207-223.
- Richard B Kreider, Colin D Wilborn, Lem Taylor, Bill Campbell, Anthony L Almada, Rick Collins, Mathew Cooke, Conrad P Earnest, Mike Greenwood, Douglas S Kalman, Chad M Kerksick, Susan M Kleiner, Brian Leutholtz, Hector Lopez, Lonnie M Lowery, Ron Mendel, Abbie Smith, Marie Spano, Robert Wildman, Darryn S Willoughby, Tim N Ziegenfuss and Jose Antonio, International Society of Sports Nutrition exercise & sport nutrition review: research & recommendations, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 7 (2010) 1-43.
- T.C. Ministry of Health, Türkiye Beslenme Rehberi/Turkiye Nutrition Guide (TÜBER), Ministry of Health Publishing, Ankara, 2015.
- H. Batmaz, Yetişkinler için Beslenme Bilgi Düzeyi Ölçeği Geliştirilmesi ve Geçerlik Güvenirlik Çalışması (Development of Nutrition Knowledge Level Scale for Adults and Validity and Reliability Study), Marmara University, Institute of Health Sciences, unpublished master thesis, 2018.
- Baysal A. Beslenme, Hatiboglu Printing and Publishing, 12th Edition, Ankara, 2011; 157- 235.
- S. Merkiel, M. Ratajczak, Food behaviour and attitude towards nutritional knowledge in female fitness instructors and female fitness participants, Roczniki Państwowego Zakładu Higieny, 64 (2013) 325-330.
- B.L. Devlin, M.D. Leveritt, M. Kingsley, R. Belski, Dietary intake, body composition, and nutrition knowledge of Australian football and soccer players: Implications for sports nutrition professionals in practice, International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 27 (2017) 130-138.
- R. Costa Pereira, G. Pitarma, M. Jardim, Evaluation of Portuguese athletes knowledge regarding nutrition and hydration in sports, Annals of Medicine, 51(sup1) (2019) 219.
- S. Couture, B. Lamarche, E. Morissette, V. Provencher, P. Valois, C. Goulet, V. Drapeau, Evaluation of Sports Nutrition Knowledge and Recommendations Among High School Coaches, International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 25 (2015) 326-334.
- G.L. Trakman, A. Forsyth, B.L. Delvin, R. Belski, A Systematic Review of Athletes’ and Coaches’ Nutrition Knowledge and Reflections on the Quality of Current Nutrition Knowledge Measures, Nutrients, 8 (2016) 570.