There are several tactical variants that can be used by the serving and receiving teams before the serve is struck in tennis doubles. The goal is to analyse the frequency and efficiency of the tactical variants of the serving and receiving teams in doubles at the elite level. We analysed 1067 points in 18 doubles matches in professional men's top-level tennis tournaments. Next to the Classical formation, the I-formation was used in 46 % of points when players hit the first serve and in 41 % of cases when the point started with the second serve. Both formations had very equal efficiency, both after the first and second serve. The receiving team preferred a formation where both players were positioned at the baseline (53 %) when returning the first serve, but only in 18 % of points when they faced the second serve. The results summarize strategies and specific tactical variants in current game performance of male doubles at the top tennis level and the results can help to set a default set-up of training volumes of these game situations. The coaches can use the information and adjust the practice sessions according to the tactical demands of professional tennis.
- S.A. Kovalchik, M. Reid, Comparing Matchplay Characteristics and Physical Demands of Junior and Professional Tennis Athletes in the Era of Big Data. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 16(4) (2017), 489-497.
- R. Martínez-Gallego, J.F. Guzmán, N. James, J. Ramón-Llin, M. Crespo, M.G. Vuckovic, The relationship between the incidence of winners/errors and the time spent in different areas of the court in elite tennis. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise, 8(Proc3) (2013), S601–S607. https://doi.org/10.4100/jhse.2013.8.Proc3.05
- J. Ramón-Llin, J.F. Guzmán, S. Llana, R. Martínez-Gallego, N. James, G. Vuckovic, The Effect of the Return of Serve on the Server Pair’s Movement Parameters and Rally Outcome in Padel Using Cluster Analysis, Frontiers in Psychology, 10 (2019) 1-15. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02789
- M. Crespo, D. Miley, (1998). ITF Advanced Coaches Manual. ITF, London.
- J. Höhm, (1982), Tenis-technika, taktika, trénink [Tennis-technique, tactics, training]. Olympia, Praha.
- V. Safarik, (1978), Tenis-vybrane kapitoly [Tennis-selected chapters]. SPN, Praha.
- J. Severa, et al. (1993), Ucebni texty pro trenery II. a III. tridy [Manual for tennis coaches – level 2 and 3], CTS, Praha.
- D. Lausic, S. Razon, G. Tenenbaum, Nonverbal sensitivity, verbal communication, and team coordination in tennis doubles. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 13 (2015) 398-414. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2014.993681
- L. Cayer, (2004). Doubles tennis tactics. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
- J. Carboch, (2009). I-formation in tennis doubles. In M. Pekny & S. Tvaroh (Eds.). Sport a veda 2009, (pp.174-177). Charles University, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Praha,
- J. Carboch, T. Kocib, M. Pechacova, Analysis of tactical variants in men's and women's tennis doubles on the international level, Asian Journal of Science and Technology, 5 (2014) 204-207.
- W. Black, M. Van de Braam, The Modern Game of Doubles: A Tactical Perspective. ITF coaching and Sport Science Review, 56 (2012) 13-14.
- T. Kocib, & J. Matejka, (2008). Tactics and game conception of tennis doubles at junior and adult level. In J. Dovalil & M. Chalupecka (Eds.) Soucasny sportovni trénink (pp.151-155) Olympia, Praha.
- R. Martínez-Gallego, M. Crespo, J. Ramón-Llin, S. Micó, J.F. Guzmán, Men's doubles professional tennis on hard courts: Game structure and point ending characteristics, Journal of Human Sport and Exercise, (in press) (2019) https://doi.org/10.14198/jhse.2020.153.13
- R.Psotta, (2003). Analyza intermitentní pohybove aktivity: se zvlastnim zretelem ke sportovnim hram [Analysis of intermittent physical activity: with focus to sports games], Karolinum, Praha.
- J.Matejka, Porovnání rozdíl? ve strategii a taktice tenisove ctyrhry u dorostu a dospelych [Comparation of differences in strategy and tactics of tennis double play between juvenils and adults categories], Charles University, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Praha, unpublished Master’s thesis, 2007.
- J.Carboch, T.Kocib, V.Süss, Taktika a herní pojetí v tenisové ctyrhre [Tactics and strategy in tennis doubles], Studia Kinanthropologica, 14 (2013) 7-11.