This study aimed to evaluate and compare functional capacity and biochemical factors among elderly women living in the urban and rural sectors of Yumbe, Chile. The sample consisted of 2 groups of elderly women from the province of Ñuble, from the eighth region of Chile, divided into urban elderly (UE) (n = 20) with a mean age of 67.57 ± 3.4 years, and rural elderly (RE) (n = 20), with a mean age of 71.25 ± 2.2 years. The following biochemical variables were analyzed: glycemic index a, and triglycerides levels and cholesterol levels. The test battery used to assess functional capacity was the Senior Fitness Test. It was found that the UE group presented better indices than the RE group for all variables except glycemia, for which the RE group presented better indices. In the functional capacity, in particular, the upper and lower body strength is significantly lower in the RE. The functional capacity and the biochemical parameters studied have shown that the elderly women of different social conditions in the Yumbe-Chile region do not present a good degree of functionality, and also show high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, which might be the cause of the increased prevalence of health problems in this population.
- John Bear., Alana Officer. AC. Informe mundial sobre el envejecimiento y la salud. 2015.
- G. Libertini, G. Rengo, N. Ferrara, Aging and aging theories, Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 65 (2017) 59–77.
- A. Lacroix, T. Hortobágyi, R. Beurskens, U. Granacher, Effects of Supervised vs. Unsupervised Training Programs on Balance and Muscle Strength in Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, Sports Medicine, 47 (2017) 2341-2361. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40279-017-0747-6
- S.J. Allison, K.B. Wavell, J. Folland, High and odd impact exercise training improved physical function and fall risk factors in community-dwelling older men, Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions, 18 (2018) 100–107.
- M. Sanhueza Parra, M. Castro Salas, Y.J.M. Escobar, Adultos mayores funcionales: un nuevo concepto en salud functionals elders: a new concept in health, 11 (2005) 17–21. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95532005000200004
- A. Oliveira, P. Nossa, A. Mota-Pinto, Assessing functional capacity and factors determining functional decline in the elderly: A cross-sectional study, Acta Medica Portuguesa, 32 (2019) 654–660.
- C. Jessie Jones, Roberta E. Rikli, Fitness of older adults, Journal on Active Aging, 2002; 24–30.
- G.Z. Mazo, D.R. Petreça, P.F. Sandreschi, T.R.B. BENEDETTI, Valores Normativos Da Aptidão Física Para Idosas Brasileira De 60 a 69 Anos De Idade, Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte, 21 (2015) 318–322. https://doi.org/10.1590/1517-869220152104134470
- C. Sartor-Glittenberg, S. Lehmann, M. Okada, D. Rosen, K. Brewer, R. Curtis Bay, Variables explaining health-related quality of life in community-dwelling older adults, Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 37 (2014) 83–91. https://doi.org/10.1519/JPT.0b013e3182a4791b
- R.E. Rikli, C.J. Jones, Development and validation of criterion-referenced clinically relevant fitness standards for maintaining physical independence in later years, Gerontologist, 53 (2013) 255–267. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gns071
- M.R. Silva, C.L. Alberton, E.G. Portella, G.N. Nunes, D.G. Martin, S.S. Pinto, Water-based aerobic and combined training in elderly women: Effects on functional capacity and quality of life, Experimental Gerontology, 106 (2018) 54–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2018.02.018
- T.G. Papaioannou, K. Karatzi, T. Psaltopoulou, D. Tousoulis, Arterial ageing: Major nutritional and life-style effects, Ageing Research Reviews, 37 (2017) 162–163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2016.10.004
- L.M. Pérez, H.P. Galeano, F.S. Gomar, E. Emanuele, A. Lucia and B.G. Gálvez, ‘ Adipaging ’: ageing and obesity share biological hallmarks related to a dysfunctional adipose tissue, Journal of Physiology, 594 (2016) 3187–3207. https://dx.doi.org/10.1113%2FJP271691
- J.C. Rigo, J.L. Vieira, R.R. Dalacorte, C.C. Reichert, Prevalência de síndrome metabólica em idosos de uma comunidade: comparação entre três métodos diagnósticos, Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, 93 (2009) 85–91. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0066-782X2009000800004
- N. Martínez-Velilla, E.L. Cadore, Á. Casas-Herrero, F. Idoate-Saralegui, M. Izquierdo, Physical Activity and Early Rehabilitation in Hospitalized Elderly Medical Patients : Systematic Review of Randomized Clinical Trials, Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, 20 (2016) 738–751. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-016-0683-4
- T. Abe, R.S. Thiebaud, J.P. Loenneke, Forearm muscle quality as a better indicator of physical performance than handgrip strength in older male ground golf players aged 70 to 89, Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions, 16 (2016) 296–301.
- C. Pistea, E. Lonsdorfer, S. Doutreleau, M. Oswald, I. Enache, A. Charloux, Maximal aerobic capacity in ageing subjects: actual measurements versus predicted values, ERJ Open Research, 2 (2016) 00068-2015. https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00068-2015
- J. Grgic, A. Garofolini, J. Orazem, F. Sabol, B.J. Schoenfeld & Z. Pedisic, Effects of Resistance Training on Muscle Size and Strength in Very Elderly Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials, Sports Medicine, Epub ahead of print 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-020-01331-7
- M. Turpela, K. Häkkinen, G.G. Haff, S. Walker, Effects of different strength training frequencies on maximum strength, body composition and functional capacity in healthy older individuals, Experimental Gerontology, 98 (2017) 13–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2017.08.013
- A.S. Ribeiro, J.P. Nunes, B.J. Schoenfeld, Selection of Resistance Exercises for Older Individuals: The Forgotten Variable, Sports Medicine, 50 (2020) 1051–1057. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40279-020-01260-5
- Z. Ignasiak, T. Sławinska, A. Skrzek, K. Rożek, S. Kozieł, P. Posłuszny, R.M. Malina, Functional capacities of Polish adults of 60–87 years and risk of losing functional independence, Annals of Human Biology, 44 (2017) 502-509. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014460.2017.1328071
- C. Cortés-Muñoz, D. Cardona-Arango, Á. Segura-Cardona, O.M. Garzon-Duque, Factores físicos y mentales asociados con la capacidad funcional del adulto mayor, Antioquia, Colombia, 2012, Revista de Salud Pública, 18 (2016) 167–178. http://dx.doi.org/10.15446/rsap.v18n2.49237