The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of coach leadership style on resilience level of volleyball players and to trace possible differences that exist between the two genders. Participants included 101 volleyball players (53 females and 48 males) and 31 coaches (11 females and 20 males), with the Self Evaluation Resilience test and the Leadership Scale for Sport (LSS) used as instruments. The data was analyzed with SPSS 21.0 using t-test for independent samples, and simple regression (stepwise) analysis. Results of t-test showed statistically significant differences between male and female volleyball players in ‘‘orientation on solution and aims’’ and ‘‘self-efficacy’’ variables, with no other statistically significant differences observed for the rest resilience variables. Additionally, no statistically significant differences were observed for the LSS variables between the two genders of volleyball coaches. The results of simple regression (stepwise) analysis suggest that the autocratic behavior of volleyball coach has a significant impact on volleyball players’ resilience. Future research should investigate whether variables such as anxiety affect the resilience level of volleyball players.
- Chelladurai P, Saleh S. Dimensions of leader behavior in sports: development of a leadership scale. Journal of Sport Psychology. 1980;2.
- Chelladurai P, Carron A. Athletic Maturity and Preferred Leadership. Journal of Sport Psychology. 1983;5(4).
- Terry P, Howe B. Coaching preferences of athletes. Canadian Journal of Applied Sport Sciences. 1984;9(4).
- Chelladurai P, Riemer HA. A Classification of Facets of Athlete Satisfaction. Journal of Sport Management. 1997;11(2).
- Horn TS. Coaching effectiveness in thesport domain. In Horn, T.S., (ed.), Advances in Sport Psychology. Champaign: IL: Human Kinetics; 2008.
- Sherman CA, Fuller R, Speed HD. Gender comparisons of preferred coaching behaviors in Australian sports. Journal of Sport Behavior. 2000;23.
- Salminen S, Liukkonen J. Coach-athlete relationship and coaching behaviour in training sessions. International Journal of Sports Psychology. 1996;27.
- Chelladurai P. Leadership in sports: a review. International Journal of Sport Psychology. 1990;21.
- Amorose AJ, Smith PJ. Feedback as a Source of Physical Competence Information: Effects of Age, Experience and Type of Feedback. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2003;25(3).
- Hollembeak J, Amorose AJ. Perceived Coaching Behaviors and College Athletes’ Intrinsic Motivation: A Test of Self-Determination Theory. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. 2005;17(1).
- Patsiaouras A, Stirbu C. Assessing Resilience in Youth (U16) Volleyball National Teams. International Journal of Physical Education, Fitness and Sports. 2020;9(3).
- Playing Characteristics andPerformance Indicator of CEV Men’s VolleyballTeams. The Baltica Journal. 2020;33.
- García Secades X, Molinero O, Ruíz Barquín R, Salguero A, y De La Vega R, Márquez S. Resilience and recovery-stress in competitive athletes. Cuadernos de Psicología del Deporte. 2017;17(2).
- Belem C, Caruzzo NM, Nascimento Junior J, Vieira J, Vieira L. Impact of coping strategies on resilience of elite beach volleyball athletes. Revista Brasileira de Cineantropometria & Desempenho Humano. 2014;16(4).
- Gould D, Dieffenbach K, Moffett A. Psychological Characteristics and Their Development in Olympic Champions. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. 2002;14(3).
- Machida M, Irwin B, Feltz D. Resilience in Competitive Athletes With Spinal Cord Injury. Qualitative Health Research. 2013;23(8).
- Sarkar M, Fletcher D. Psychological resilience in sport performers: a review of stressors and protective factors. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2014;.
- Leontopoulou S, Roussi P, Vassilaki E, Kaniasty K. Stress andpsychosocial resources: Coping with lifechanges, occupational demands. educational challenges, and threats to physical and emotional well-being, Berlin: LogosVerlag.
- Zervas I, Κakkos B, Psychountaki M. Validity andreliability of the Leadership Scale in SportsCoaches edition [paper presentation).Proceeding. Komotini, Greece.: 4th Pan-HellenicCongress of Sport Psychology; 1996.
- Relationship BetweenResilience and Coping Strategies in CompetitiveSport. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 2016;122(1).
- Liukkonen J, Laakso L, Telama R. Educational perspectives of youth sport coaches:Analysis of observed coaching behaviors. International Journal of Sport Psychology. 1996;27.
- Gioldasis A, Kamenov K, Bekris E. Leadership style of Greek soccer coaches. Journal of Physical Education and Sport. 2013;13(3).
- Vargas-Tonsing TM, Myers ND, Feltz DL. Coaches’ and Athletes’ Perceptions of EfficacyEnhancing Techniques. The Sport Psychologist. 2004;18(4).